3 Easy Ways For Truck Drivers To Bring Healthy Food On The Road
About to head out on a routine cross country truck drive? While on the road for such long hours, it often seems nearly impossible to find nutritious and healthy food to eat. Fast food and gas station hallmarked soda, chips and candy seem to be most of what’s available. But what does this mean in the long run for truck drivers’ health as a whole? Statistics from the National Institute of Health show that more than 50 percent of truck drivers are obese compared to the national rate of 26.7 percent. Also, compared to the general population, the prevalence of diabetes is 50 percent higher. The best way to ensure healthy eating habits is to start your journey prepared and bring your food along with you. It will improve your health and even save you money! A healthful diet includes a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and starches, good fats, and lean proteins. Here are some easy ways to fulfill those requirements and bring healthy meals on wheels!
3 Ways to Bring Healthy Meals on the Road:
- Pack food that needs refrigeration in a cooler
- Sliced Wholegrain Bread
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Cheese and Yogurt
- Sliced low-fat Meats
- Raw Veggies and Dips
- Use a Thermos for hot foods.
- Instant Oatmeal
- Quinoa flakes (a great source of protein)
- Powdered Soups (without preservatives)
- Bring your own condiments.
- Chili Powder (for the spice lovers)
- Agave or Stevia (healthy options for the sweet tooth)
- Dry fruits and Nuts (for toppings and protein)
- Organic Jerky (without additives)
- Seasoning Salt