How To Optimize Yard Operations By 300% With Matrack Trailer Tracking
Are you unsure about how to use GPS trailer tracking correctly? Do you want to understand how to improve yard operations? In that case, you’ve come to the right place!
What Does Trailer Tracking Mean?
It isn’t easy to track mileage when your trailers are on the road. Trailer tracking devices allow you to survey the speed, distance, driver’s activity, and mileage traveled by your trailers. This positional data then transfers to a centralized collection point by either a communication network or a satellite network. This data allows you to find ways to cut costs, conserve fuel, devise fleet solutions, and reduce labor.
Going through with a trailer tracking solution has many advantages. It offers specific benefits like correct invoicing, better customer service, and trailer utility optimization. If the trailer tracking system is suitable and has a great overall design, it can help you achieve a better ROI.
Some added benefits of having a real-time tracker include –
1. Guaranteed Safety Of Assets – The back-office support gets notified in the event of a safety issue. Then, they take immediate action to secure the assets, trailer, and driver.
2. Theft Recovery – Owners always know where their assets are. If the trailer gets stolen, the police can track down the trailer with the help of real-time data provided by the GPS tracking device.
3). Speed-Monitoring – Real-time GPS tracking alerts the business owner or fleet manager when the driver exceeds the set speed limit. Speed violations cause more fuel consumption and increase the risk and severity of car accidents.
4. Downtime – Before the trailer tracking system, fleet managers had a hard time tracking all trailers that had been with their customers for too long after unloading. However, GPS-enabled trailer tracking ensures that the potential for downtime gets reduced, allowing trailers and other valuable assets to function effectively.
5. Paperwork – Trailer tracking uses GPS technology in a cloud-based application that records everything. Information is organized and stored in the cloud and is always accessible via any mobile device. It saves time, is cost-effective, and is environmentally friendly. Data is also recorded in real-time, eliminating the risk of loss or inconsistency.
6. Insurance Discounts – Many insurance companies offer discounts to companies that use fleet tracking systems as part of their fleet management. Therefore, these discounts mean even more cost savings.
7. Reduction Of Time Spent On The Road – The tracking system also prevents unnecessary engine idling by employees through constant real-time monitoring. Fleet managers can also find better routes with less traffic or delays due to road construction. It also means less idle driving time, more trips per day, less fuel consumption, and higher productivity.
To read more about the benefits of trailer tracking, read this blog https://matrackinc.com/trailer-tracking-important-things-to-know/.
How Can A Matrack Trailer Tracker Help?
The Matrack trailer tracker is a GPS tracking device that helps you monitor your trailer. The appealing thing about GPS tracking devices is that they can send unique satellite signals to the receiver. The receiver then processes those signals and displays real-time data on screens. The Matrack Trailer Tracker can help maximize trailer utilization, protection from theft and unauthorized use, streamlined trailer yard utilization, and a food cargo quality check.
MA-1080 is a GPS trailer tracking device introduced by Matrack harboring great features. It is not only compact but also weatherproof. The battery life lasts three-five years, and the devices have an easy-to-use interface available on smartphones, tablets, etc. This interface allows trailer tracking from any corner of the world.
Matrack’s MA-4550 is a hardwired weatherproof tracker that stores factual data for up to a year. That makes paperwork easier without losing any vital data. To read more about Matrack’s trailer tracking devices, visit https://www.matrackinc.com/trailer-tracker-device/.
What Are Yard Operations Or Yard Management Systems?
Yard Management Systems, also known as YMS, are software solutions developed to keep watch on the movement of the trailers in the yard of an organization or facility. As the connection between transportation and the warehouse, your yard management software can create valuable opportunities for agility and efficiency. Yard Management System provides real-time information about the trailer’s location in the yard, allowing yard workers to move the trailer from staging to the dock to process orders efficiently.
Yard management is a series of activities aimed at monitoring the passage of cargo in and out. That concerns situations such as –
- Planning and implementation of dock loading and unloading procedures,
- Tracking assets and their movement,
- The regulation of the activity of the trailers in the yard of a production facility, warehouse, or distribution center.
Let’s take a brief look at one of the most common scenarios. For example, a carrier needs to collect cargo from a warehouse. The specific steps that need to follow are –
- The appointment must be agreed upon and confirmed with the carrier. As a general rule, enter the vehicle data for confirmation here too.
- After the trailer arrives, the driver checks in at the gate and possibly goes through the verification process. The driver drops the trailer after getting directed to the parking lot.
- The scout informs the manager or the dock team that the trailer has arrived.
- The scout receives instructions to retrieve the trailer and move it to the dock door. At this point, the cargo is ready for loading. The dockworkers then load the trailer.
- The spotter moves the loaded trailer to the parking lot, where the driver attaches the trailer to the truck. The trailer then checks out at the gate.
Although this looks simple, each step has several drawbacks that can cause delays or ruin things. Reasonably, a yard management system (YMS) is a software solution that self-regulates these processes. Rather than manually designing and tracking routine yard operations, YMS facilitates planning, assists in monitoring equipment and goods, and provides real-time information for more effective decision-making.
Recent supply chain disruptions have led many companies to think of ways to streamline their shipyard operations. Yard management software comes in many forms, including warehouse management system add-ons, stand-alone solutions, and self-developed systems. It is crucial to understand and identify the best solution for your business.
Although every business is different, yard management introduces common challenges for every company. These challenges also depend on the size of the yard and the company, products/assets present in the yard, and other factors. Most of them come from manual operations, as per the 2021 Yard Management Industry Report by FourKites.
Companies have focused on transportation and storage to optimize their processes, leading to a widening gap in technology and efficiency for yard management. COVID-19 caused the trailers to dwell for long periods, changing the focus in 2020. The COVID-19 disruption led to a growing interest in yard improvement. To better understand the implementation of YMS, et’s talk about its primary issues.
- Longer Gate Operations Lead To Queues – The manual check-in and check-out process is often a setback for busy yards, as trailers take too long to get in and out. A queue that stretches along the adjacent streets is created, resulting in fines for the driver, ensuring that sitting on an idle truck wastes time and fuel.
- Asset And Yard Checks Consume Too Much Time – Yard teams take considerable time conducting yard and asset checks, leading to losses. Asset management may not be an issue for small businesses that can see the entire area. However, if you’re managing a large shipyard, you’re probably familiar with this issue. Even if you’re using your fleet or third-party trailer, you need to know where the truck is in the yard at all times and easily find the inventory you need.
- Lack Of Trailer Visibility – It’s just a mess if you don’t know which equipment to use, which truck to load next, or what lies in the yard. Many facilities perform yard checks manually, which is time-consuming and error-prone. And by the end of such inspections, the information is often outdated.
- Tracking Shipment/Inventory – Poorly managed inventories are another common problem and cause delays. Failure to find the resources needed on the farm can lead to frustrating schedule disruptions and overtime. Handling perishable cargo can also result in product spoilage and other losses.
What Are The Opportunities For Optimization After Implementing Yard Management System (YMS)?
It is necessary to understand the impact investing in the Yard Management System has on your organization. When searching for the right yard management company and solution, you should know what to prioritize. The main advantage of YMS is real-time visibility into automation, synchronization, and operations. It helps organize and control the yard operations from gate entry to loading, unloading, and departure.
Let’s learn how your business can improve yard operations with the GPS trailer tracking solution from Matrack –
- Reduction In Maintenance Costs – GPS trailer tracking devices send alerts to the technicians to schedule maintenance based on the Driver Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR). Tracking shows trailer mileage, service intervals, diagnostics, and error codes. By acting proactively, you can reduce the possibility of costly outages.
- Increased Trailer Use – The utilization report shows low utilization trailers and high-demand areas. You can improve sales by allocating assets to the areas that need them most. It also saves the potential cost of purchasing or leasing new equipment. GPS trailer tracking reduces manual workload, which saves time, leading to increased trips by the trailer.
- Minimized Yard Hunts – GPS trailer tracking shows where the trailer is at all times and simplifies yard checking of locations. The on-site camera complements these checks with past video material. You can also receive proactive alerts to notify you in case of unusual activity in your yard.
- Analyzing And Scheduling – Do you need to make a knowledgeable choice about reducing or expanding trailers? A GPS tracker assists you with that too! It facilitates you to recognize the number of vehicles in use without a doubt and the number of trailers parked. It also offers the correct evaluation of the way tons cash a trailer brings in, in addition to the prices it incurs in a given period. Thus, scheduling becomes effective as well as efficient.
- Automatic detention tracking – Catch-up charges are totaled, except for carriers with a bad experience. Tracking alleviates this costly issue. Real-time GPS data produces automated detention reports for yard managers. Trailer tracking also helps confirm or reject imprisonment invoices and helps in collecting fees.
- Protection From Theft – Installing a GPS trailer tracker will not only protect your trailer from theft but also vandalism. Automated notifications alert you about any unauthorized activity of the trailer. Therefore, you can always take quick action against the felon.
- Visibility In Asset Management – Effective performance measurement and inventory management helps enable visibility into yard operations and assets. Avoid wasting your time looking for “lost” trailers around your yard. Organizations have a heightened sense of sight into performance and trailers once they invest in the Matrack GPS Trailer Tracking Solution.
- Increase In Spotter/Guard Efficiency – YMS eliminates the need for wireless communication by significantly reducing spotter travel time. It allows shuttle drivers to receive, accept and confirm travel request execution with the help of GPS trailer tracking devices.
The Future Of Yard And Its Operations
Global transformation is paving the way for all industries with logistics and data. Although yards are still behind with the guide processes, automation only stands a mile away. IoT, drones, and self-automated cars will quickly alternate the backyard environment. As futuristic as it could sound, it is a well-known fact that many businesses recognize.
Yard management systems are helpful for both the inventory management team and yard employees who need to find specific pallets, machinery, shipping containers, or even employees. Yards were known as “operational black holes,” but not anymore. Now, they are beneficial assets that save businesses money and time. You can reduce costs, encourage fleet solutions, and improve customer relationships by installing our GPS trailer tracking device.
Follow these tips and advice to optimize your yard operations effectively! For more information about our products and services, contact us!